Frequently Asked Questions
1. I want to fly a helicopter, how do I get started?
To get yourself started, check out our Enroll page for the the necessary documents that you will need to start. Then call Magnum Helicopters, (248) 730-1230, to schedule your first meeting with one of our instructors to set your learning goals and expectations.
2. If I have never flown before, do I need to have an airplane (fixed wing) license before my helicopter license?
The answer is NO. You can be a brand new pilot and learn just to fly a helicopter. But if you do have a fixed wing license you can learn to fly a helicopter and have both licenses!
3. How old do I have to be to start training in a helicopter?
In order to fly the helicopter alone (solo), the pilot must be 16 years old and hold a Student Pilot License. But lessons can start before the age of 16 with an instructor.
4. To get my Private Pilots license, how old do I need to be?
At the age of 17 you can earn your Private Pilots license. A Private Pilot license allows the pilot to fly for fun and take family and friends for rides.
5. I am not a citizen of the United States of America, can I take helicopter flight lessons with Magnum?
Yes you can! There is just a little extra paper work. In order to start you will need to register with homeland security by going to their website (the link is provided below). You will need to create a student account and fill out the appropriate paperwork with them. When filling in the paperwork be sure to put Magnum Helicopter, LLC in the requested training space. www.flightschoolcandidates.gov
6. I have decided to make the life changing experience to learn to fly a helicopter, when can I start?
You can start as soon as you book your first lesson with Magnum Helicopters! Make sure you bring in your passport or birth certificate, a photo ID and a smile with excitement. We will be looking forward to meeting you and getting you started on your new journey!